Yesterday, I had a really rough day. So rough, that it carried into today. Here’s what happened:
- I woke up later than I should’ve.
- I had a meeting to attend for grad school and I needed to bring a dessert but, I got all the way to the grocery store nearest my job (30 minutes away) before I realized that I had neither my purse nor my wallet to buy said dessert.
- The school day went remarkably well. My kids were calm and although I hadn’t pre-planned out the day’s activities, my students were fully engaged the entire time.
- I called Wes (my husband) and asked him to get a dessert from the grocery store and deliver it to me at my job– pretty, pretty please. And he did.
- When I left work for my meeting, I didn’t see the dessert in teacher workroom (or in the fridge). All that I saw was a frozen pie in the freezer. I nearly cried out of frustration thinking that he’d brought me a freaking FROZEN dessert!
- I got to the car and he’d actually already put it in there for me. (He realized I’d probably have forgotten it at school had he not done that, I guess).
Fast forward 10 minutes (I didn’t get lost this time!)
- I get out of the car with the cake, my laptop bag and my purse and my coffee. I put my water in my laptop bag.
- I finally find the room where the meeting is being held and I sit my bag down. I realized that the meeting was at noon (not at 1 p.m.). I was actually 65 minutes late instead of the 5 minutes late that I’d thought.
- I look down and there is water flooding my bag. My bag that has mywork iPad and my work MacBook in it…
- The iPad was not harmed. I cannot say the same thing for my MacBook. Hopefully, it will be able to be resurrected after it dries out…
- You know, every single thing I’ve worked on these last few months is saved on that computer (including everything—did I mention EVERYTHING???— that I’ve done for grad school is on that laptop.
- Today, I brought my old laptop to work because I still need to be able to take attendance and such. When asked what happened to my laptop, I just busted into tears. I try really hard to never, ever cry but I couldn’t figure out a way that I would be able to replace the school’s laptop and I was freaking out.
- I CRIED AT WORK! I’m a little embarrassed. Actually, I’m a lot embarrassed. My first period class noticed that something was wrong and they asked me and I nearly cried again!
Sigh. It’s all over now. I’m okay now that I’ve written it out. This morning on the radio, this song that I really like came on. The chorus goes like this:
“Sometimes pain’s the only way that we can learn/ you can never fall too hard, so fast, so far that you can’t get back when you’re lost/ where you are is never too late, so bad, so much that you can’t change/ who you are/ you can change who you are”
That song was really what I needed to hear today as I felt like a loser and I think I may be a little overwhelmed. I’ve been much more forgetful these last few days and extremely tired. But, there is hope.
*** edited to add:
This is such a “downer” post but I had to get it off my chest. I did come across this funny thing the other day on Pinterest. If it doesn’t make you lol then I don’t know what will.