The list continues…
11. You’ll need to come to terms with the fact that you may NEVER be on time ever again. Six months in and I think Wes and I have been to church on time twice…maybe. It doesn’t really matter how early we get up. It could be 530 a.m. and we don’t need to leave for three hours and we’ll still be late. I don’t really know how it happens. Oh wait, I do. The reason is now almost six months old.
12. Some days you still won’t believe that you’re parents. Wes and I are still in awe of the little miracle that we created. How can we be parents? I mean, seriously. This has got to be a joke, right?
13. You may not be used to the reality that you’re a parent but other people will soon begin to pester with the inevitable question: “when are you having more?” Ummm, I am finally getting my head on straight, I do not intend on unscrewing it any time in the near future (oh, sweet baby Jesus, please hear me!). The “pesterers” will be super happy when you create another baby so that they can poke fun at all of the precautions that you took with baby #1 and are no longer taking with baby #2. They will laugh at you and tell you horrible stories about being dog tired from pregnancy and taking care of baby #1. Well, some people will. The ones who care about you will leave you to imagine the perfect scenarios where you’ll still be able to sleep when the baby sleeps… those are the people who you need to keep in your corner.
14. You’ll still be tired. Yep, even this far into the “game.” You see, now you’re trying to decide on whether or not you should actually go to bed at night when the baby’s asleep or if you should have some quality time with your spouse. Many times, the quality time will win but…
15. You may sleep through the quality time. It has nothing to do with how attractive you find your spouse it’s just that your precious baby is literally sucking the life out of you. I kid you not… I’ve already lost one tooth. Seriously. But that’s a story for another day.
16. While we’re talking about spouses… the two of you will bump heads more now than you ever have. You see, being responsible for another life is taxing. It’s taxing because you think so freaking much. About EVERYTHING. And once, you decide your opinion/philosophy on something, you’ll find that your spouse may not agree with you. That’s where the bumping of heads occurs. You’ll want them to do everything perfectly. They’ll think you micromanage them. It will be a problem.
There is nothing that you can do to prepare yourself for this phase except to practice the art of “fighting” fair. Remember that your spouse loves you and your spouse loves baby. They will not do anything to purposefully harm you. They will not do anything to purposefully harm baby… even though, your neurosis may tell you otherwise. Remember that you trusted them enough to marry them. You trusted them enough to share your life with them. You can trust them with your baby. (I’m preaching to myself here, too.)
17. It may still take some time for you to get used to your post baby body. But go ahead and get accustomed to your new curves and what not. LOVE YOURSELF.
18. You’ll come to realize that to love yourself, you’ll need to invest time doing things you love. This is NOT selfish. You need to get some rest, read books, magazines, watch trashy t.v. shows to unwind. You NEED to talk to your spouse and make arrangements for them to take care of baby so that you can do some yoga or go running or for a walk BY YOURSELF. It’s important. Chances are your spouse is just waiting to see how he can help you.
19. And, on that note: Let. Your spouse. Help. You.
20. By now, I’m sure you’ve realized that you’ve become that person who only talks about their baby. That’s normal. I mean, you’re in love as you SHOULD be! Don’t feel ashamed to show the love. I mean, I’m pretty sure that I am like the Grinch Who Stole Christmas: “And what happened, then? Well,
in Whoville they say – that the Grinch Sam’s small heart grew three sizes that day. And then – the true meaning of Christmas grace came through, and the Grinch Sam found the strength of *ten* Sams, plus two!”